Sligo Abbey

The site of Sligo Abbey in Sligo town contains a great wealth of carvings including Gothic and Renaissance tomb sculpture, well-preserved cloisters and the only sculptured 15th century high altar to survive in any Irish monastic church.

Known locally as the ‘Abbey’, it survives from medieval days.

Built by Maurice Fitzgerald for the Dominicans in 1252 and was accidentally burnt down in 1414, when a candle left carelessly in the building set it on fire, and it was further damaged during the 1641 rebellion.

See heritageireland.ie/en/north-west/sligoabbey/


Coordinates: 54.270797,-8.470695